The five-member second-grade team finished second in the nation for its grade level, in a field that boasted 21 teams. In the team competition, the three highest scores determine the team's score. The Southern Nevada team finished a half-point behind the 11-member second-grade team from New York City's Dalton School, where Josh Waitzkin was once a student. Waitzkin's journey to his first national championship was portrayed in the 1993 movie "Searching for Bobby Fischer." The Meadows team also finished ahead of Hunter College Elementary School in New York, which offers a chess course as part of its curriculum.
Thursday, January 12, 2006
- The Game of Chess
- Nevada Boasts K-2 National Champ!
- California's Central Coast a Hotbed for Chess
- New Chess History Site!
- CHESS-PLAYING TO-DAY (PART II)
- CHESS-PLAYING TO-DAY (PART I)
- Student Athletes Honored At HHS Fall Sports Banquet